top of page

Police Say Son Of Local Mayor Beat Man With Bat

Updated: Jul 22, 2022

Note: Revised story with additional information.

It was a brutal assault.

Dwayne Kirk

On Sunday morning, around 2:30, Grove City Police say Dwayne Kirk entered his ex-girlfriend's home, kicked open the bedroom door, and mercilessly beat a man with a baseball bat.

Kirk is the son of City of Obetz Mayor Angie Kirk.

Police arrested the 38-year-old Kirk Monday and charged him with felonious assault. Kirk was arraigned Tuesday at the Franklin County Municipal Court and released on a $10,085 cash/surety bond.

The victim, 35-year-old Nathan A. Sisson of Grove City, suffered a fractured jaw and skull, lacerated ear, and brain trauma, according to the police report. Sisson, a security officer at Grant Hospital, is in stable condition at Grant Hospital.

Download PDF • 441KB

Lynn Grandon, Sisson's mother, says her son was at the home of Jennifer Miller, Kirk's ex-girlfriend. "He (Sisson) is not her boyfriend, and she is an acquaintance. He was doing something nice without going into details. He (Dwayne Kirk) is a stranger to my son. My son did not see him enter or come at him. He was blindsided."

Grandon tells The Sussi Report that she has not left her son's side since Sunday. "He (Nate) has four skull fractures, broken bones in the face, and his ear was hanging from his head." Grandon says her son also had two brain bleeds and suffered a traumatic brain injury.

When reached through Facebook, Jennifer Miller told The Sussi Report that she had no comment. "It's an ongoing investigation," she says.

It's not the first time Kirk lost his cool and injured someone. In 2005, a Franklin County grand jury indicted him on felonious assault. Eventually, Kirk pleaded guilty to the lesser charge of misdemeanor assault.

Lots of unanswered questions. What exactly is the relationship between Sisson and Miller? Why were they together at The Derby, a Grove City bar on Stringtown Road, the night before the assault? Why didn't Miller call the police following the assault or get Sisson's help? Instead, according to the police report, Sisson left home and called his mother. The Sussi Report will stay on this story and get those answers.

13,943 views16 comments
bottom of page